Public Place Injury

Our Expertise

Public Liability Claims

If you have been injured in a public place or at somebody else’s home, property or premises you may be able to claim damages. Public liability claims often arise as a result of accidents occurring:

  • at shopping centres, shops and supermarkets;
  • at pubs, clubs and bars;
  • at residential premises;
  • at schools;
  • at restaurants;
  • in parks;
  • on footpaths; or
  • other public places.

A claim for damages usually includes compensation for:

  • Pain and suffering;
  • Loss of enjoyment of life;
  • Past loss of earnings;
  • Loss of future wages;
  • Past and future medical expenses; and
  • The cost of care provided to you by family members or professional care providers.

You may be able to claim all of the above, even if you contributed to the accident.

Your time limit to issue proceedings in Victoria is usually three years from the date on which the accident occurred. In certain limited circumstances, you may also be able to bring a claim beyond this period.

In order to pursue a claim for damages for pain and suffering it is necessary to establish a 5% permanent impairment for a back or neck injury, 6% for any other physical injury or 11% for a psychological injury.  In our experience, most back and neck injuries meet this threshold.

We can assist you pursue a claim for loss of wages and out of pocket medical expenses even if your injuries do not meet the impairment thresholds.

Our solicitors have extensive experience in public liability claims and would be pleased to discuss your potential entitlements with you during a no-obligation free first interview.

If we believe the case is likely to be successful, in most circumstances we will pursue your claim on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. This includes paying for out-of-pocket expenses.

If you don’t win, there’s no fee.

We operate on a ‘no win, no fee’ payment system, which means there are no costs upfront and you only have to pay us if you win.
Find out more