Public Place Injury

Public liability claims

If you have been injured in a public place or at somebody else’s home, property or premises you may be able to claim damages.

This usually includes compensation for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Past loss of earnings
  • Loss of future wages
  • Past and future medical expenses; and
  • The cost of care provided to you by family members or professional care providers.

You may be able to claim all of the above, even if you contributed to the accident.

Your time limit to issue proceedings in Victoria is usually three years from the date on which the accident occurred. In certain limited circumstances, you may also be able to bring a claim beyond this period.

In order to pursue a claim for damages for pain and suffering it is necessary to establish a 5% permanent impairment for a back or neck injury, 6% for any other physical injury or 10% for a psychological injury.  In our experience, most back and neck injuries meet this threshold.

We can assist you pursue a claim for loss of wages and out of pocket medical expenses even if your injuries do not meet the impairment thresholds.

Types of public liability claims in Australia

An accident in a public place can have a profound effect on your quality of life and your ability to earn an income. You have a right to be safe in public locations and when a business, government, private or other property owner fails in their duty of care to ensure your safety you may be able to seek compensation. These property owners (not including residents) must carry public liability insurance by law so claims are generally made against insurance companies.

Types of cases could include:

  • Accidents at rental properties
  • Slip and fall claims in retail outlets
  • Dog and other animal attacks
  • Assaults (physical and sexual)
  • Food poisoning
  • Water-sports including boating, diving and jet-ski
  • Horse riding accidents
  • Sporting club accidents
  • Public transport such as bus, trains or trans

Typical locations where injuries can occur include:

  • Shopping centres, shops and supermarkets
  • Schools
  • Restaurants
  • Footpaths
  • Sports fields
  • Sporting fields or sporting facilities
  • Swimming pools
  • Tennis courts
  • Parks and gardens
  • Playgrounds
  • Amusement parks
  • Other public places such as train stations

Making a claim

A successful claim is possible when the property owner breached their duty of care and contributed to the accident which resulted in your injuries. However, the law can be quite complex and this is where you need the guidance of expert personal injury lawyers. Arnold Thomas & Becker have decades of experience in this specialised area of law and have a proven track record in winning significant compensation payouts.

Slip and fall injury compensation claims

A common type of claim is for slip and fall. When you have been injured in a public place, supermarket, restaurant or private property you may be able to claim slip and fall compensation. Contact us as soon as possible after your injury has occurred and we will assess your situation free of charge. If you are worried about the legal fees involved with processing a claim our no win no fee policy means you pay absolutely no fees unless we win your case.

Finding the best public liability lawyers

If you live in Victoria and are searching for a legal firm to handle your case then search no more. Call us on 1300 333 300 with your particulars and speak directly to a lawyer for a free assessment.