Road Accidents / TAC

Our Expertise


Need an Expert TAC Lawyer in Melbourne?

If you have been injured in a transport accident you may be entitled to compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The TAC has a ‘no-fault’ scheme with benefits that are available even if you caused the accident.

Entitlements include:

  • lost wages;
  • medical and like expenses;
  • travel and household support services;
  • a lump sum impairment benefit; and
  • lump sum Common Law claims for damages.

Claims can include accidents involving cars, motorcycles, buses, trains, trams or any other motorised vehicle. If you are a pedestrian or on a bicycle and hit by motor vehicle, then you are entitled to benefits from the TAC.

Where someone else has been negligent you may also claim Common Law damages.  This includes compensation for your pain and suffering and past and future loss of income. These claims can be very significant

Different entitlements might apply if you are injured on the road in a State or Territory outside of Victoria. To speak directly to an expert TAC lawyer in Melbourne call 1300 333 300.

If we believe the case is likely to be successful, in most circumstances we will pursue your claim on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. This includes paying for out-of-pocket expenses.

TAC Claim FAQs

Why do I need a TAC Lawyer?

The TAC will not give you independent legal advice regarding your TAC claim. In our experience, the TAC and the TAC lawyer often do not pay to you your maximum entitlement to compensation to income benefits, medical expenses and lump sums. In order to claim damages for pain and suffering and lost wages, you will need a TAC lawyer in Melbourne to represent you.

How do I make a TAC Claim?

You should report your claim to the TAC as soon as possible by calling them. You normally must lodge your claim within 12 months of the accident. Generally you will be required to report the accident to the police before your claim can be accepted. In order to claim compensation for weekly payments or medical expenses you should also obtain a TAC Certificate of Capacity from your doctor. You should contact us to obtain advice as to the best way to protect your rights.

What if I am unhappy with a decision made by the TAC?

If the TAC refuses or ceases to pay you compensation, a review must be sought within 12 months. An application can be lodged with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). You should seek legal advice from us concerning referring the matter to VCAT. Arnold Thomas & Becker act assertively when it comes to protecting your rights.

What if I am injured in a transport accident in the course of work?

If you are involved in a transport accident while working, you will be entitled to compensation under the WorkCover system. However, you may also have common law rights to further compensation under the Transport Accident scheme. You should contact us for advice as to how this works. However, if you are injured on your way to or from work, your injury will usually be covered with the TAC.

How is lump sum compensation for permanent impairment calculated?

The Accident Compensation Act 1985 requires Independent Impairment Assessors to apply the American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Edition when assessing level of permanent impairment of a transport accident victim. A Whole Person Impairment percentage is calculated and then used to determine the amount of lump sum compensation payable to the injured claimant.

What if the transport accident was my fault?

Even if you were at fault in a transport accident, you will still have potential entitlements to the ‘no-fault’ benefits which can include weekly compensation for lost earnings, reimbursement of medical expenses and a lump sum amount of compensation for permanent impairment. You should seek legal advice from us concerning these entitlements and so that we might take your further instructions regarding the circumstances of the accident and whether a common law claim to sue another party might be possible.

If you don’t win, there’s no fee.

We operate on a ‘no win, no fee’ payment system, which means there are no costs upfront and you only have to pay us if you win.
Find out more